Special Needs Planning


Leave assets for a child with special needs.

Estate planning for children with special needs comes with a complex set of financial, social, and medical issues that some lawyers are ill-equipped to handle.

Pujol Law is dedicated to ensuring your child with special needs will be well taken care of when you are no longer able to serve as their primary caregiver.

We offer a variety of estate planning tools and strategies designed to accommodate the unique circumstances presented by children with special needs and their families.

We can help you pass on the financial assets needed for your child to live a rich quality of life without jeopardizing their eligibility for government benefits. We will also assist you in finding and appointing a trusted guardian and/or trustee to look after them in the event of your incapacity or death. Our financial assets attorney will be there for you.

Special Needs Trusts

How to leave enough money to pay for the massive amount of care and support a loved one with special needs typically needs throughout their lifetime, while not disqualifying them from government benefits like Medicaid and Supplemental Social Security Income, is a challenge. Let Pujol Law help you navigate this situation.

If you leave a large lump sum of money directly to a child with special needs, immediately there are concerns about how that might impact governmental assistance and whether your child is capable of managing finances on their own. If you think “okay, then I need to update my estate planning” we are here for you.

Fortunately, we have an estate planning tool called a “special needs trust” designed to provide supplemental financial resources for the physically, mentally, or developmentally disabled child without affecting their eligibility for public healthcare and income assistance benefits.

This said, the rules for such trusts are quite complicated.

It is crucial that you work with an experienced special needs attorney who can create a comprehensive special needs trust that is both properly structured and appropriate for your child’s specific situation.

Special Needs Planning ​And Trusts​

If you need estate planning for your child with Down Syndrome, autism, cerebral palsy, or any other developmental or intellectual disability, we are here to help you.

We will help you develop a sustainable living plan for your child with special needs that will provide them with the finances they need to live a full life, while preserving their access to government benefits.

Scroll to Top